As I move towards retirement, I have gained wisdom and guidance from many sources. Books, blogs, articles, and especially friends who have gone before me, all have helped pave the way and have made me more comfortable with my coming transition.
Tonight, as I anticipate the start of Season 4 of Downton Abbey, I realized that even the Crawleys, along with their extended family and staff, can teach me a thing or two about the road ahead.
1) Don’t stay in a rut. Try new things – even if it involves wearing unattractive outfits.
2) Stay connected with friends and entertain often. Everyone loves a barbeque!
3) Don’t forget what a weekend is. It’s that thing at the end of those other days you’ll lose track of.
4) Don’t be idle. There’s always something to do, even if it’s just getting lost in a good book.
5) Don’t forget that others are still working. Be grateful and respectful of their time.
6) There is so much out there to see. Travel as often as possible.
7) No need to start dressing like a frump just because you’re no longer going to work every day.
8) Exercise often. Even better, exercise with friends.
9) Stay current with new technologies, and don’t be afraid of getting out of your comfort zone.
10) You never know how long you – or those you love – will be around. Never miss an opportunity to tell someone that you love them.
“Life is short, live it. Love is rare, grab it. Anger is bad, dump it. Fear is awful, face it. Memories are sweet, cherish it.” – Unknown