March 22, 2016 / Retirementallychallenged.com

GratiTuesday: Spring has sprung!

Even though most of us in Southern California hoped the predictions of a wet El Nino would come true (and we still have our fingers crossed), the rainfall we’ve experienced has been underwhelming. Except for two memorable days of torrential rain in early January, our winter – overall – has been pretty mild.

On Sunday, when it officially became spring, we were enjoying the same blue skies and mild temperatures we’d had been experiencing for a long time. Regardless, seeing “First Day of Spring” on my calendar made me almost as happy as someone enduring a winter of freezing temperatures and snow would feel.

We’ve been seeing evidence of spring all around us for several weeks. Flowering plants are announcing the new season with cheerful colors and gentle fragrances and trees are starting to burst into clouds of blooms. The bees and hummingbirds are buzzing frantically from one flower to the next as if they are worried it could all suddenly disappear under a pile of snow.

Our Grevillea Long John’s whimsical pink blossoms are a favorite of bees and hummers

It looks like we’ll have another bumper crop of blueberries this summer

It looks like we’ll have another bumper crop of blueberries this summer

Even Tiki Mon is displaying spring flowers in his hair

Even Tiki Mon is wearing spring flowers in his hair

I am so very grateful for spring’s arrival. It is a magical season bursting with promise, inspiration, and optimism.

1. Kate Crimmins / Mar 22 2016 9:44 am

Spring is magical! Here in the east it’s the season of hope and outrageous color! Love your flowers.

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Mar 22 2016 10:27 am

Since we’ve had a false spring here for awhile, I think our plants are a little confused. The plants started blooming early and I’m hoping the colors don’t fade too soon; they are really lovely.

2. joannesisco / Mar 23 2016 6:17 am

I agree with your statement about how magical spring is. It holds so much promise and potential … and the flowers of course are a gift 🙂

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Mar 23 2016 12:44 pm

I love watching the hummers and the bees dart about. The flowers are a gift for our eyes (and sometimes noses) but for them the flowers are life itself.

3. susan@marsha'sbungalow / Mar 23 2016 7:59 am

Living without snow and ice is such a wonder. All hail blue skies and sunshine (though a little bit more rain wouldn’t be bad)

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Mar 23 2016 12:46 pm

I have never lived in the snow but I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t like it very much (I’m a real baby about being cold). But, yes, more rain please.

4. Encore Voyage / Mar 23 2016 12:07 pm

I LOVE this time of year! My daffodils are in full bloom, my forsythia is gorgeous, and I’m looking at my flowering star magnolia out my window! We’ve survived the blustery season and are headed toward summer!

5. laura bruno lilly / Mar 24 2016 5:11 am

You should do a whole ‘series’ on Tiki Mon throughout the year!!!

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Mar 25 2016 8:55 am

Haha! I love my Tiki Mon but spring is really the only time his “hair” looks any different. Most of the time he is pretty tame.

6. pegoleg / Mar 24 2016 7:14 am

Your flowers are lovely!

Illinois is rainy this week, but Michigan welcomed spring with a snow/ice storm yesterday. I was there (home) for the weekend and was delighted that Mother Nature waited until I left to dump on them.

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Mar 25 2016 8:53 am

I love reading about the various seasonal experiences on other people’s blogs. I can’t say that I envy those who have snow but at least you have definitive evidence of the seasons.

7. Carol Ferenc / Mar 24 2016 11:48 am

Spring always makes me feel so alive! Those pink Long John’s are wonderful, Janis. I’ve never seen them before, but I love them!

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Mar 25 2016 9:02 am

I think Grevillea is an Australian shrub. Since our weather is similar (just at opposite times of the year), their plants do well here. I love the shape and color of the blooms as much as the hummers and bees do!

• Carol Ferenc / Mar 25 2016 10:26 am

They really are stunning. And helping the bees and birds is a huge bonus!

8. Terri Webster Schrandt / Mar 24 2016 9:29 pm

You are so right, Janis, about spring being a magical time in SD. It really is! This time last year we were down there for a week and got to go paddling on Mission Bay, walked around PB with my step daughter, attended a luau out in East County and these days seem to epitomize SD. Crossing my Nor Cal fingers for you all 🙂

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Mar 25 2016 8:59 am

The weather has been lovely. Part of me wants rain (I really do!), but part of me wants this spring weather to continue. Moisture supposedly due next week… we’ll see.

9. lisadorenfest / Apr 3 2016 12:02 am

Bummer to hear that you haven’t gotten the rain you’d hope for during the winter months, but it does look like you are having a lovely spring. I am having ‘spring’ envy down here in the Southern Hemisphere. I haven’t had a good NYC spring (or fall) for that matter since 2012 and I miss that joy of tulips and cherry blossoms (or fall foliage that is worth talking about. I know, boo hoo, my life is so hard. But just sayin’, sometimes you have to sail away to be grateful for what is waiting for you back home.

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Apr 3 2016 11:42 am

It must be odd to be somewhere that May – August is actually fall and winter. As I am looking forward to summer, you are starting to wear heavier clothes. I’ve seen some gorgeous pictures of the cherry blossoms back east… I can see why you miss that.