July 25, 2016 / Retirementallychallenged.com

Little me traveling in this big, beautiful world

ChairMy husband and I recently returned from an extended road trip through southeastern Canada and the northeastern U.S.  A week-long car club gathering in Vermont was the inspiration for the trip, but we decided to add some time before and after so we could visit friends and family and explore that part of the world.

The beauty of traveling in retirement is that we can enjoy being away from home for multiple weeks without worrying asking for extra time off, missing work deadlines, or even being concerned that our being gone could jeopardize our very employment. When we return, we don’t have to hit the ground running to get back up to speed; we can ease into our comfortable routine and let our bodies readjust naturally to our native time zone.

Traveling for more than a week or two also encourages a more relaxed pace. Since we aren’t racing from one destination to another, we can take more time to experience where we currently are. This allows for more spontaneous side trips, unstructured explorations, and guiltless relaxation.

I also find that a more leisurely pace helps me to be a better observer of the world around me. Because of my blog, I often find myself filtering unique experiences, interesting sights, and general observations through my internal “I wonder if this would be an interesting post?” lens.

This trip was no exception.

The initial planning, our varied accommodations, multiple opportunities to meet with friends old and new, several “ah ha” moments, and observations about the world outside my bubble, all were noted in my travel journal and I plan to write about them over the next few weeks, beginning with my GratiTuesday post tomorrow.

Another plug for a future post: this one as part of the upcoming Cherished Blogfest which runs Friday, July 29 through Sunday, July 31. Bloggers are invited to join in and share their memories, emotions, and stories of a much-cherished object. Last year, I chose my U.S. Passport. This year’s post will be about another cherished travel-related object. If you are interested in participating in the blogfest, click on this link for more information. Even if you don’t join in, you might want to visit the various blogs and read about the much-cherished objects participants have chosen to share.

1. Elle Knowles / Jul 25 2016 6:21 pm

I told H today we need to plan a road trip soon. That should take care of some of that extra energy he has…
    Can’t wait to read about your travels! ~Elle

2. joannesisco / Jul 26 2016 3:45 am

Glad to hear you made it home safely and I’m looking forward to reading about your adventures.

I agree about the more relaxed approach as a retiree. Time no longer seems to have the same stranglehold and it’s possible to more fully enjoy whatever I’m doing because work and other outstanding obligations are no longer fighting for my attention in the same way.

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Jul 26 2016 9:42 am

My favorite way to travel is to have no set schedule and just see what happens. For this trip though, we felt that it was important to have our accommodations planned and booked in advance. Even with that, we were able to adjust our activities as we went along.

3. Keith / Jul 26 2016 4:03 am

It’s Edith Ann. I hope you get the reference. Love it.

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Jul 26 2016 9:43 am

Ha! I did get the reference… and it was right on!

• Keith / Jul 26 2016 10:47 am

Many thanks. And, as she would say “that’s the whole truth, (raspberry sound).”

4. Kate Crimmins / Jul 26 2016 6:56 am

That is certainly the right way to travel. It reminds me of that year between high school and college (or college and a job) when kids take a year to travel. No encumbrances. All fun.

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Jul 26 2016 9:47 am

You’re right! I took a year off between the first two years of collage and the second two years. A girlfriend and I went to Hawaii and we just did whatever we felt like doing for several months. We had no agenda (except to meet lots of boys) and no set return ticket. It was great!

5. Joe / Jul 26 2016 8:04 am

I can’t wait to read more about your travels to, and impressions of, this interesting and beautiful part of our continent.

6. Liesbet / Jul 26 2016 8:07 am

It sounds like you were in our neck of the woods, Janis. I wish I knew. I’m glad to read you are expanding your horizons and I am looking forward to reading more about it. A journal is a great way to keep track of things. I have been writing one every day for 25 years. It might be a good subject for the cherished blog fest if I decide to join… 🙂

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Jul 26 2016 1:43 pm

I think your journals (25 years!!!) would be a wonderful subject! I was going to write about my travel journals, but I think I changed my mind… maybe… I have four whole days to decide 🙂 .

7. Anabel Marsh / Jul 26 2016 8:56 am

Love the giant’s chair! A bit of a scramble getting up?

8. Carol Ferenc / Jul 26 2016 9:22 am

Unhurried travel is certainly one of the best things about retirement. So glad you had a wonderful trip, Janis.

9. susan@onesmallwalk / Jul 26 2016 1:22 pm

So that’s what you’ve been up to. It will be fun to hear your reactions and adventures. (like Anabel above, I wonder how you got up into the chair???)

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Jul 26 2016 1:48 pm

We saw quite a few big chairs along the route. Fortunately for my husband I didn’t make him stop at each one and take a picture. We had a great time – and I learned how to successfully use the blog post scheduler!

10. exploringeverypath / Jul 26 2016 2:06 pm

Ahh i love the relaxed slow pace travel – when you don’t have to be in a certain place at a certain time and can just enoy the here & now of it all stress free. Its why we quit our jobs and just took off, so much more enjoyable then worrying or thinking about what you have on hold at home!

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Jul 26 2016 2:24 pm

You two are certainly more mega-travelers than we are! Although our pace was fairly slow this time, I think our next adventure may include an extended stay so we can truly get into the rhythm of the location.

11. dconnollyislandgmailcom / Jul 28 2016 3:47 pm

Hi, Janis – Thanks for the link to Cherished Blogfest. I will definitely join in (but will need to write quickly)! Your travels sound amazing.
    PS – Loved the post about your US Passport.
    Donna