February 16, 2016 / Retirementallychallenged.com

GratiTuesday: Home, sweet home

My husband and I just returned home from a trip to La Paz, Mexico. We enjoyed a week of lovely weather, beautiful vistas, wonderful food, and pampered relaxation. On most of our trips we tend more towards the Best Western or Hampton Inn-type accommodations. We are much more inclined to spend our money on our daylight adventures and less on where we lay our heads. This trip was different; some friends invited us to take advantage of a deal they found through Expedia and join them at a lovely beach resort near the tip of Baja.

IMG_3991

Our trip couldn’t have gone any smoother or our travel companions been any more compatible. The resort was lovely and, although it was off-season, we enjoyed picture-perfect weather and warm ocean water.

Tomorrow I will finish unpacking and doing the laundry. I will start having to plan meals and making lists of errands that need to be run. I will miss having fresh towels provided and our room cleaned every day. I will especially miss the pool that was just outside our door, and a nearly deserted white sand beach that was just a few steps further.

But, right now, I’m so grateful to be back in my home. I am always sad when a trip is over, but I love to return to my comfortable and familiar surroundings. No matter how interesting and beautiful the world outside my little bubble is, there really, truly, is no place like home.

1. Polly Huffman / Feb 16 2016 7:56 pm

Wow, a devine trip! But, you’re right, home is the best place to be.

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Feb 16 2016 8:23 pm

The trip was great, but home is… well… home. I would like a waiter to bring me a margarita, though.

• Polly Huffman / Feb 17 2016 12:40 am

I meant divine!

2. Shelley / Feb 17 2016 4:13 am

I too love a bargain. If we can save on hotel, flight etc. that means we can travel more.

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Feb 17 2016 1:37 pm

I agree! Also, 4- and 5-star accommodations are lovely but they can be isolating since they often are located well away from the “real” world.

3. laura bruno lilly / Feb 17 2016 5:29 am

What a perfect combo: a bargain that panned out to be a bargain with all the perks of a great ‘holiday’. Keep wearin’ those vacay shades… 😎

4. Keith / Feb 17 2016 5:36 am

Welcome home Dorothy. I am glad your Oz was a great vacation, but there is no place like home.

5. Kate Crimmins / Feb 17 2016 6:48 am

Trips have two highpoints. One is going there and the other is coming home!

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Feb 17 2016 1:41 pm

Oh, yes! We met fellow travelers who were going home to snow so maybe they were not looking forward to that journey as much.

6. Kristine Puzel / Feb 17 2016 7:52 am

Glad you had a great trip and wonderful weather! But you’re right…. nothing beats sleeping in your own bed!! Can’t you train the “Mr.” to bring you a margarita?!?!

7. joannesisco / Feb 17 2016 1:56 pm

It is nice to go away, but it is nice to get back home afterwards. Yes, the amenities are gone and the casual, laidback feeling of vacation … but home is where all the memories are stored for safe keeping 🙂

8. Terri Webster Schrandt / Feb 17 2016 6:08 pm

I can’t wait to hear more about your trip! This is the best time of year for Baja! It is ALWAYS wonderful to come home, though!!

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Feb 17 2016 6:59 pm

I’ll be posting more soon. I think we picked the perfect time to go… just after Mardi Gras and just before high season.

9. Barb / Feb 17 2016 9:41 pm

Yes, I could never be a snow bird. I have learned that for most of my road trips, by the end of two weeks I need to be back In my own little space. Although right now the thought of three weeks on Padre Island instead of two is looking pretty good…

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Feb 19 2016 8:23 am

I’ve never been to Padre Island but your comment prompted me to Google it. It looks lovely! I think three weeks there sounds great!

10. Carol Ferenc / Feb 18 2016 1:13 pm

So glad you had a great trip ~ it sounds wonderful. It’s always nice to be pampered a little, but nothing beats the comforts of home.

11. lisadorenfest / Feb 18 2016 8:44 pm

Sounds like a wonderful, luxurious, relaxing week. But I know what you mean about ‘home, sweet, home’. One of the reasons I love to travel by sail is that wherever I go, I’m ‘home’, but even with that, I am still a bit homesick these days.

Do you have another travel adventure planned in the near future?

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Feb 19 2016 8:28 am

We have a few trips planned… both long and short, here and abroad. I attended a travel workshop yesterday and it got me thinking about all the places I’d like to visit. We just sent for our passports to be renewed so, in about 6 weeks, we’ll be ready!

• lisadorenfest / Feb 19 2016 6:27 pm