February 21, 2016 / Retirementallychallenged.com

The heART of La Paz, parte dos

I knew I would find unique and colorful buildings in La Paz. I knew that I would also find friendly people, amazing food, and gorgeous vistas. I had traveled to Mexico enough times in the past to know that I would find a culture that is somehow both exciting and relaxing at the same time.

What surprised me during our recent, brief trip to La Paz, was the quantity and quality of artistic expression that we found throughout the city. As I wrote about in my last post (here), art was abundant and took many different forms, including colorful murals, paintings and pottery, signage, and sculpture.

In my first post about our trip, I shared pictures of some of the many murals we saw as we walked around the town. Now, in parte dos, you will see some of the wonderful sculptures we found.

La Paz’s Malecon, a 3.5 mile seaside promenade that follows the curve of the shoreline, features the sculptures of several Mexican artists. All have the sea as their theme. The first one shown is of Jacques Cousteau, who once described La Paz as “the aquarium of the world.”

Malecon1 Malecon2Malecon3

Whimsical seashell musicians joyfully play their music in a downtown plaza.

Seashell musicians

We found this pocket park several blocks inland as we searched for a recommended restaurant. The park, called Stones and Birds, takes its name from a poem that is written and illustrated on one of its walls. The heads of the fountain’s sculptures are half men/half birds, with bodies of stones. The expressions and detail of the faces was exquisite.

Park 1

Park 2

Park 3

1. Keith / Feb 21 2016 5:42 pm

These are exquisite, Janis. Thanks for sharing more of your vacation.

2. Encore Voyage / Feb 21 2016 6:30 pm

Now I really want to go!

3. Richard Schulte / Feb 22 2016 4:58 am

I really like all of those sculptures!

4. snakesinthegrass2014 / Feb 22 2016 11:03 am

Beautiful! The sculptures remind me of those in Puerto Vallarta, but I think much nicer. Great pictures, and it looks like a really incredible vacation. Thank you for posting these.

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Feb 22 2016 4:08 pm

I remember the ones in Puerto Vallarta along the malecon… really nice but I don’t recall them having a sense of whimsy like these have. Perhaps I need to go back to PV and check to make sure.

5. Carol Ferenc / Feb 22 2016 12:06 pm

I just love the whimsical quality of their art. My only trip to Mexico was to Acapulco years ago and I don’t remember seeing any artwork like this. So much fun!

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Feb 22 2016 4:10 pm

I don’t remember seeing these types of sculptures in Acapulco either. But, we were there just for a day as part of a cruise stop.

6. Terri Webster Schrandt / Feb 23 2016 9:08 am

So neat!! Next time we head that way I will have to contact you for where these are. Thanks for sharing!

7. lisadorenfest / Feb 29 2016 4:15 pm

Especially love the dolphin and the mermaid!