June 20, 2017 / Retirementallychallenged.com

GratiTuesday: A Cuppa Gratitude

When I first saw this café along one of the pretty pedestrian walkways in Oaxaca, I, of course, had to stop for a cup of coffee and to take a few pictures.

Gratitud

Comida que hace bien

(Food that is made well)

Therapia y Cocina, con Alma y Corazon

(Therapy and Cooking, with Heart and Soul)

Not only was I grateful for the smile this café served me along with my coffee, I was doubly grateful that it included a side helping of a GratiTuesday post.

El secreto en Gratitud es hacer las cosas con amor

(The secret to gratitude is to do things with love)

By the way, did you notice the menu board out front in the first picture? Least you think they were charging $20 US dollars for a Café Americano or a Café Expreso, or $30 US dollars for a Cappuccino, the current peso to US dollar conversion rate is about 18.9 to one. The price of those coffees is around $1.06 and $1.59… that is something to be grateful for!

1. Liesbet / Jun 20 2017 2:09 am

I love seeing and reading about these “snippets” of your current trip to Oaxaca, Janis. The buildings are so cheery and colorful – many reasons to smile. 🙂

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Jun 20 2017 9:11 am

Oaxaca has such a rich culture that even the five weeks we were there wasn’t enough time to take it all in. I’m glad you are enjoying the stories from our travels.

2. Lies Jack Kerouac told Me / Jun 20 2017 3:08 am

The price of a cup of joe alone is worth the trip.

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Jun 20 2017 9:20 am

Although I wish their economy was better, the prices for just about everything were amazing. A meal that we would have paid $100 for in the US cost us closer to $35.

3. Green Global Trek / Jun 20 2017 3:39 am

That sign and vibe would lure us in too, no doubt. Have heard that Oaxaca is incredible.

Peta

4. Jackie / Jun 20 2017 3:39 am

Nice

5. Maggie Wilson / Jun 20 2017 4:43 am

Now that’s a café made just for you and your weekly Tuesday offerings! Nice.

6. Ally Bean / Jun 20 2017 5:34 am

This is lovely and wonderful. The photos, the saying, the price of dinner! I’m enjoying your vacation from afar.

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Jun 20 2017 1:44 pm

We couldn’t get over the prices, but that’s why there is a big expat community there. I got used to dividing the peso price in half, then moving the decimal point one to the left. It was close enough, and usually quite surprisingly inexpensive.

7. Kate Crimmins / Jun 20 2017 6:04 am

I love trying coffee from different places. That’s how I learned to drink espresso.

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Jun 20 2017 1:46 pm

You would have loved all the choices of places to get your morning fix. I know Starbucks was there somewhere, but I never saw one.

8. Joanne Sisco / Jun 20 2017 6:15 am

I like that quote “the secret to gratitude is to do things with love”. I would have been attracted to this doorway too 🙂

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Jun 20 2017 1:48 pm

Isn’t that nice? We forget sometimes how we can invite gratitude into our lives.

• Joanne Sisco / Jun 21 2017 4:40 am

I know I’m terribly guilty of taking myself too seriously. It’s a gratitude killer and I have to constantly work on it.

9. Donna / Jun 20 2017 6:51 am

I love unique little coffee shops. This one is absolutely perfect!!

10. Lynn / Jun 20 2017 7:06 am

How could one not be drawn in to such a delightful little cafe? Looks like a wonderful place to stop & sit awhile.

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Jun 20 2017 1:52 pm

I loved the bright colors on the outside, and the calm, inviting interior. And, a nice little bench outside to sit and people watch while enjoying the cuppa.

11. Anabel Marsh / Jun 20 2017 9:17 am

Looks enticing – and, as you say, a gift for your Tuesday post!

12. Debra / Jun 20 2017 8:18 pm

“The secret to gratitude is to do things with love.” How lovely!

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Jun 21 2017 8:47 am

I really liked that too! I think it points out how happiness and gratitude are feelings that we can actively choose to have. They are available to us all.

13. Terri Webster Schrandt / Jun 21 2017 8:37 am

I agree with one of your other comments–the price of coffee there was worth the trip. Perfect post for you!

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Jun 21 2017 12:02 pm

I thought it was pretty nice of them to name their cafe after my Tuesday blogposts! 😄 We couldn’t get over the price of things there. The expats are living large, often on just social security.

• Terri Webster Schrandt / Jun 21 2017 1:42 pm

Oh gosh, don’t tell me that. 😉 We may end up there or some other Latin American country in 10 years.

14. Shelley Molnat / Jun 21 2017 10:07 am

Now you’ve made me want to go to Oaxaca. When I was in Queretaro in February the exchange rate was even MORE favorable, if you can believe that. Almost 21 pesos to the dollar!

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Jun 21 2017 12:05 pm

You would love it, Shelley! Wow, 21 pesos to the dollar… I thought our exchange rate was good. I guess it is constantly floating, but ours never got much over 19 – and that was just for about a day.

15. Ann Coleman / Jun 21 2017 12:05 pm

What a perfect name for a cafe! Especially one that sells coffee that cheaply!

• Retirementallychallenged.com / Jun 21 2017 12:13 pm

I loved how they integrated that concept throughout the cafe. It was hard coming back to the US and have to pay our prices again 😄

16. karen207 / Jun 21 2017 4:36 pm

I so need to be in that cafe right now. Thanks for photos that will allow me to visualize and imagine.

17. Judy @ NewEnglandGardenAndThread / Jun 22 2017 5:12 am

I’m a price checker, but when it comes to good coffee I sometimes overlook the price. 🙂

18. jilldennison / Jun 27 2017 10:04 pm

What a charming little place! So much more soul than the sameness of a Starbucks! A lot cheaper, too! 🙂

19. roughwighting / Jun 28 2017 2:05 pm

Sweet! I toast you a cuppa gratitude for sharing this with us. xo